»

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

[radio roulette]

Does anybody really listen to the radio anymore? Ipods, the internet, and satellite radio have pretty much made AM/FM radio an antiquity.

There's a bunch of reasons I rarely tune into on air broadcasts anymore. The number one reason is the frequency and amount of commercials. There are more ads than music on most radio stations these days. My number two reason is that most radio stations play popular/mainstream songs that are backed by major labels. Independent music is basically ignored. On FM radio you hear the same 20 pop songs all day/everyday until the rotation is switched.

I watched the movie Before the Music Dies and I understand that radio is a business not just an art. It's still a pity that radio can't introduce listeners to new, innovative music on a regular basis. Enough of my soapbox ranting. Here's some FM radio stations that I still tune into when the mood strikes:


My favorite FM radio station of all time is
104 WDKX- straight out of Rochester, NY. It's the only locally owned and operated station in the Roc. The call letters for DKX stand for Frederick Douglass, Martin Luther King Jr., and Malcolm X. I grew up on this station and it brings back memories every time I tune in. 104 has some unique radio shows including the Quiet Storm, Oldies on Saturday mornings, and the live mix shows on Saturday afternoons. You can now listen online.
College stations have a great deal more freedom when it comes to radio programming. Commercials are far and few between and djs are more apt to play indy/underground music because they're allowed to! My favorite local radio show is "the slowFlow show" on 89.7 WITR (RIT's station). This hip-hop and R&B radio show was created by Jaythreeoh. As the host/selectah Jay plays a diverse mix of music- making sure to showcase local artists and underground/independent talent. Not only are the tunes on point- Mr. Jaytreezy has personality for days. Tune in weekdays from 9am-12pm. You can listen online.


NPR (National Public Radio) has always had a diverse lineup of radio shows. I don't listen religiously but whenever I catch a show it usually sparks my interest. WRUR 88.5 broadcasts a few NPR shows including my favorite World Cafe and the not-so-traditional talk radio show called All Things Considered. "World Cafe" profiles contemporary musicians and features live performances and interviews. "All Things Considered" features quirky human interest stories and news from around the world in a creative format.


Honorable mention: WBER 90.5 is a self-described alternative radio station. WBER is one of my car radio presets so when I feel like playing radio roulette this happens to be one of the choices.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin